Sunday, October 19, 2008

Spicy Ginger Molasses Cookies

My sister Marcy was just here for a visit. Yesterday she baked soft chewy molasses cookies, but they were not quite what she was looking for. She was trying to figure out how to bake a cookie like Starbucks sells.
Here is the version I baked this morning, after we doctored a recipe...

I have never had a Starbucks soft molasses cookie, so I was not sure what I was comparing to, it is getting closer but not quite.. our very hot spicy version, not meant for children, definitely an adult cookie.

Spicy Ginger Molasses Cookie Recipe

2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. ground ginger
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 tbsp. ground cloves
1/2 tbsp. allspice
3/4 tbsp. white pepper
1 tbsp. cardamom
3/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tbsp, instant coffee powder
2 tbsp. cool brewed strong coffee
2/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup grated fresh ginger
3/4 cup sugar, plus 1/2 cup for rolling
12 tbsp. softened butter


Preheat oven to 350° F.

Stir together the flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, ground cloves, allspice, white pepper, cardamom, cayenne pepper, salt and cocoa powder in a medium bowl and set aside.

Whisk together in a small bowl coffee powder, coffee, molasses and grated ginger. Set aside.

In a large bowl beat together the 3/4 cup of sugar with the butter, until well combined. Add the flour mixture with the wet mixture in thirds, beating well in between additions. Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally.

Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

Put remaining 1/2 cup of sugar in a small bowl. Using a tablespoon, scoop out dough in rough balls, and roll in sugar, and place 2" apart on the baking sheets.
Bake for 14 minutes, and rotate pan halfway through baking. Cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes before removing cookies to a cooling rack.


2 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh these sound great...I'm definitely going to bake these (I love the Starbuck's molasses cookies).

Unknown said...

Hey, I'm not the only one who hasn't had a starbucks molasses cookie? I think I've had 3 starbuck's coffees in my life too. Great coffee, just not accessible. Your cookies look extremely yummy Pegg!!!