Sunday, May 4, 2008

Looking For Spring Warmth & Avocado and Corn Salad Recipe

Wow, we have the hint of a warm spring day and then bang, winter is back, snow on the weekend. Yuck. I am so craving warm weather. I just tried sitting on the back step to work on a recycled basket,I had to come back in, feels as though you could see your breath. My workshop is on May 12th. I have also decided to post a step by step of this basket on here, once i get all the photos taken. I know when I searched online, I did not find much, so I will share this little piece of my knowledge. A very simple, cardboard and plastic basket. Hopefully I will have it up some time this coming week.
The grocery store had bags of avocados on sale this week, and of course they all ripened at the same time. I made this old favourite salad for dinner tonight, I served it with a simple sloppy joe. It was delicious!

Avocado Corn Salad

2 servings

1 cup corn
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. water
1 tsp. cumin
1 pinch of red pepper flakes
1 avocado
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 red bell pepper
2 tbsp. minced onion, red if you have some
salt
1 dash hot sauce

1. In a large skillet, add corn, oil, water, cumin and red pepper flakes.
2. Over medium heat, cook, covered for 5 minutes, then uncover and cook for a few minutes to evaporate excess moisture.
3. Set skillet aside to cool.
4. Slice the avocado in half lengthwise and remove the pit.
5. Peel the avocado and cut into 1/2" pieces and place in a large bowl.
6. Add lemon juice and stir.
7. Chop pepper into 1/2" pieces.
8. Add onion and corn and stir.
9. Add salt and hot pepper sauce to taste.
10.  Combine well, serve and enjoy!!

1 comment:

I Heart That! Dance said...

Ooooh five :) I LOVE avocado and we got a couple in our veggie box this week, I am definitely going to make this salad!