Sunday, April 5, 2009

Date Scones

I love scones and have quite a collection of scone recipes. This is an old favourite, very simple!

Date Scones

2 cups flour
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 chopped pitted dates (cut with scissors)
1/2 skim milk
3 tbsp. maple syrup
Butter for buttering baking sheet

1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add dates; toss well. Combine milk and syrup. Add to flour mixture, stirring until just moist.
3. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead 4 or 5 times. Pat dough into an 8” circle on a lightly buttered baking sheet. Cut dough into 12 wedges, cutting into but not through, dough.
4. Bake at 400 F. for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.

1 comment:

liz said...

I think I add about 3 lbs to my thighs every time I read a recipe from your blog!
Yum, I love scones and have to try this one!