Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Fruit Dumplings

This recipe was my gram's, it is old, and was very vaguely written. It has been a family favourite forever. I made them for lunch today and have loosely written down ingredient amounts. Loosely, there is always room for play, or for getting things to the way you would like them. I find them to be comfort food,
a very simple easy recipe.

Marcella's Fruit Dumplings

4 cups water ( I had to add a little extra water once I added the dumplings)
500 g mixed dried fruit, such as raisins, currants, apples, apricots, peaches, prunes, cherries..
what ever you have on had, cut into bite sized pieces
Boil together

Dumplings
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups flour, enough to thicken the dough
Mix together. Form into a 1" to 1 1/2" roll or log. My dough was a little sticky so I rolled the dough log in flour. Cut into small pieces and drop into the fruit mixture.
Add water if need be, so that all the dumplings are in the liquid. Boil gently for 10 minutes. When done add some milk to the mixture. I added less than 1/2 cup.

Serve, and I hope you enjoy!

No comments: