Thursday, May 1, 2008

Happy May Day & My Favourite Bread Pudding Recipe!!

Wow, a new month, new beginnings... let's hope spring is here to stay. It is a little warm out today, whoohoo!!

I discovered this bread pudding a while ago. It has become the only one I use now. It is from The Foster's Market Cookbook, by Sara Foster. It is a favourite cookbook, I use it a lot.

Say's Bread Pudding 

12 tbsp.(1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted
3/4 cup, firmly packed brown sugar
9 cups cubed bread
4 cups milk
5 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
1 cup raisins (I use dried cherries, blueberries and or cranberries)

1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Brush a 9" x 13" glass baking dish with 4 tbsp. of the melted butter. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the bottom of the dish and set aside.
3. Place cubed bread into a large bowl. Pour the milk over the bread and let stand for 4-5 minutes, or until bread is soft.
4. Combine eggs, granulated sugar, remaining butter, and vanilla in a separate bowl and whisk together until blended.
5. Pour the egg mixture over the bread mixture: add the dried fruit and stir to mix.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish, cover, and bake 50 to 60 minutes. Uncover, return to the oven, and continue to bake for 10 to 15 minutes , until the pudding is puffy and golden brown.
7. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
The recipe also makes Bourbon icing to serve over, but I do not think it is necessary. I have never made it, I love the pudding on its own.

Serves 10 to 12.


No comments: