Last night for dinner I made a variation of the roasted beet pizza in the new Cooking Light magazine. It was so delicious, hmmm yummy!!
I have linked to their recipe, I will type out the recipe with my changes. I made two pizzas, and tripled the dough recipe.
Roasted Beet Pizza
4 oz. Red Beets.....I did not weigh them but used more than they called for
1 1/2 heads garlic, loose skin removed, and cut the very top off
1 1/2 Basic Pizza Dough, 10" pizza
1/2 cup feta cheese
1 cup, crumbled goat cheese
1/2 large red onion, sliced thinly
1/4 tsp. flaked sea salt
1 tsp, olive oil, plus extra for drizzling on the garlic.
1. Preheat oven to 450° F.
2. Leave root end and 1" of stem on beets: scrub with a brush. Wrap beets in tin foil. Bake at 450° for 40 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and cool. Trim off both ends of the beet and remove the skin( it will rub off). Cut beet in half lengthwise and slice thinly.
3. Place garlic on tin foil, and drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, wrap tightly and roast along side the beets. Roast for 40 minutes, remove from oven and let cool. Squeeze garlic from skin and set aside the garlic pulp.
4. Saute the thinly sliced red onion in a frying pan in a small amount of olive oil, until very soft and well cooked. Set aside to cool slightly.
5. Position an oven rack in the lowest setting. Place pizza stone on lowest rack.
6. Increase oven temperature to 500°. Preheat pizza stone 30 minutes before baking pizza.( I only heated it for about 10 minutes).
7. Roll pizza dough out as thin as you can, take stone from oven, and transfer your rolled dough to the stone, carefully the stone is hot. Rub 1 tsp. olive oil over the dough. Smear the roasted garlic evenly over the surface. Sprinkle the onion evenly over the surface. Next add the sliced roasted beets, and then sprinkle both cheeses over the whole surface, leaving a 1/2" border.
Sprinkle with the sea salt.
8. Bake at 500° for 8 minutes or until the crust is golden.