Sunday, January 31, 2010

My Dad's Black Bean Soup Recipe

Yesterday I made black bean soup from my dad' s old recipe. I had not made it for years, so it was a fabulous treat! It is the best, most delicious, black bean soup I have ever ate. It's well worth the effort. My black beans were very old, so they took a lot longer to cook, I eventually covered the pot completely and they softened much quicker. Yum!


Ken’s Black Bean Soup


1/4 cup olive oil

2 large onions, chopped (4 cups)

8 garlic cloves

3 cups beef stock

3 cups chicken stock

2 cups water

1 lb. dried black beans, rinsed

1 meaty smoked pork hock

1 tbsp. toasted ground cumin

1 tbsp. oregano

3/4 tbsp. thyme

1/2 tsp. ground cloves

4 to 5 pickled jalapeno peppers, finely chopped ( I used fresh jalapeno)

Salt

Sour cream

Cooked brown rice


Heat oil in a Dutch oven on medium heat. Add onions and garlic, lower heat slightly and cook covered, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.

Add broth and water; stir in beans, pork hock, cumin, oregano, thyme, cloves and jalapenos. Raise the heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer partially covered for 2 hours, until beans are tender.

Remove pork hock, and set aside to cool

Puree 1/2 of the soup and return to pot. Shred the meat and add to the soup.

Taste the soup and correct the seasonings, simmer for 10 minutes.

To serve: place a spoonful of hot brown rice in your bowl and ladle soup over top. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream if so desired.

(I doubled the recipe, so that we could have at least two meals from it. It is sometimes nice not to have to cook every night!)


2 comments:

Kreativlink said...

Sounds yummy!

cindylouwho2 said...

Looks delicious! Very similar to my recipe, except we cook vegetarian. It's great with just a few scallions sprinkled on top for serving!