Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Rustic Apple Tart

A favourite recipe I have not made for ages. I baked two yesterday, for Thomas, but he was a no show, he will be home in just over an hour...
Yummy, I had some for breakfast this morning!

Rustic Apple Tart Recipe

1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. sugar
dash of salt
7 1/2 tbsp. butter
1/4 cup ice water
2 lbs. tart apples, peeled and sliced
3 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. butter
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. cloves

Combine flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in ice water until mixture holds together. Press into a ball and let rest 30 minutes in the refrigerator.

Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface into a 15" circle. Place dough circle in a 9" pie plate, spread out, centered.

Combine apples with sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Place apple mixture on the dough in the pie plate, spread out evenly, dot with butter.

Fold the edges of the dough  over apples, pleating to make it fit. You will have an uncovered center. Moisten pastry with water or milk and sprinkle lightly with sugar, I used coarse sugar for this.

Bake at 400° F in the upper third of the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until apples are tender and partially caramelized. Rotate pan halfway through baking.

Serve warm or cold and enjoy!

6 comments:

Uncommon Depth said...

Yum! This looks delicious. I like that your pastry doesn't use lard too. I need to experiment with different fats in pie crust. I want to eventually be able to use a cold pressed olive oil or some other healthier oil.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the great recipe!

Gillianbeads said...

Five, that rustic tart looks so delicious! I'd love to have a virtual piece...you know, just a sampler. ;-)

LazyTcrochet said...

Yum, this looks so much easier than rolling pie crusts!

liz said...

Oh, this looks sooo wonderful! With a nice cup of tea by the fire...

Anonymous said...

thanks Pegg, it looks yummy, even Norma said it looks so good then she got into her drool thinking about your blueberry pie..me thinks when it cools off here I will see if I can master it