Friday, May 7, 2010

Apple Almond Puddings

Yesterday we had an overnight guest, my cousin stopped in on his drive from B.C. to visit his daughter in southern Ontario.
I haven't been baking much, as I really don't need any extra calories. I am waiting to have knee surgery to repair a tear. I have put on quite a few unneeded pounds.
I did make dessert however, and it was a huge hit, yum! This recipe is a keeper!
it comes from Bill's Open Kitchen, by Bill Granger.

apple almond puddings, just out of the oven

apple almond pudding on my plate surrounded with cream, yummy!

Apple Almond Puddings

150 g (5 1/2 oz) unsalted butter
150 g (5 1/2 oz) superfine sugar (I used brown sugar)
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 tsp natural vanilla extract

Batter
175 g (6 oz) unsalted butter, cubed
175 g (6 oz) castor (superfine sugar)
3 eggs
100 g (3 1/2 oz) almond meal
100 g (3 1/2 oz) plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon

To serve
cream

Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Place a saucepan over medium to high heat and add butter and sugar. Stir until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved. Add the apple and vanilla and cook for 10 minutes, or until soft and caramelized.

To make the batter, cream the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring until well combined. Fold in the almond meal, flour, baking powder and cinnamon and mix until combined.

Lightly grease six 250 ml (1 cup) oven proof ramekins. Arrange the caramelized apples on the bottom. Divide the batter evenly between the ramekins and smooth over with the back of a spoon. Cook for about 25 minutes or until lightly golden.

Run a knife around the edge of each ramekin then invert onto a serving dish. Serve with cream.
Serves 6.

(My ramekins are smaller, about 3/4 of a cup, I used 8 and it filled them perfectly.)
Enjoy!

4 comments:

Brigitte said...

Yum Yum!

ZUBEAJAY said...

sounds wonderful!! i dont know how to convert to american measurements. do i need to buy a scale?

ZUBEAJAY said...

SO SORRY ABOUT YOUR DOG! I HAD TO PUT DOWN MY MUCH LOVED KATE WHEN SHE LOST USE OF HER HIND LEGS AND BLADDER CONTROL. SHE WAS OLD AND ARTHRITIC AND I COULDNT CARRY HER UP AND DOWN THE STAIRS TO GO OUTSIDE, AND SHE WAS LEAKING URINE AND IN A LOT OF PAIN.IT WAS SO HARD TO LOSE HER! TOO BAD THEY DONT LAST AS LONG AS WE DO. THIS IS MY 1ST TIME TO VISIT HERE,JUST LEFT YOUR ETSY SHOP.BEAUTIFUL!!

Pegg said...

Hello Zubeajay, I am sorry you lost your beloved Kate. It is a hard thing when our fur babies leave us.
thank you!

The pudding is really quite good! Now I can't remember if I measured or approximated. I might have measured, but you can try with just using oz. with a measuring cup.
Let me know how it works out for you.

Pegg.