Sunday, April 20, 2008

Oven "fried" Fish

I have left my taxes to the last minute, and am not very organized. I got myself a little cranky yesterday, and was seeking comfort food. I am trying to watch, somewhat, what I am putting in my mouth. I do need to lose some weight. I bought salmon at the grocery store, and found this recipe for oven fried fish. I served it with oven fries, and steamed swiss chard. It was actually very good. The recipe calls for white fleshed fish, but the salmon worked out well. I cut the fillets into long strips, sort of like fish fingers. Okay it was not the lowest calorie dinner I could have prepared, but I was seeking comfort food, and this came very close, well it hit it on the head.

I hope you will enjoy this recipe.

Oven "fried" Fish

4 (6 oz.) salmon fillets ( or white fleshed fish, such as tilapia)
1 egg white
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup unbleached flour
1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. olive oil

1. Position the rack on the top shelf of the oven.
2. Preheat the oven to 500° F.
3. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, and lightly grease the foil.
4. Pat fish dry with clean tea towel, or paper towels.
5. Slice fillets in half lengthwise to form long pieces.
6. In a shallow dish whisk egg white with the buttermilk.
7. In another dish stir the flour with bread crumbs, paprika, cayenne, garlic powder and salt.
8. Working with one piece of fish at a time, light coat with the flour mixture.
9. Shake off excess flour, then dip into the buttermilk mixture.
10. Turn to coat evenly.
11. Shake off excess liquid.
12. Coat the fish in the flour mixture again.
13. Shake off excess coating and place on the baking tray.
14. Repeat with remaining fish, one piece at a time.
15. Discard any remaining buttermilk and flour mixture.
16. Lightly spray fish with  the olive oil or using a brush lightly dab about 1 tbsp. as evenly as possible over coating.
17. Do not skip this step as it is essential for the crispy fish.
18. Bake on the top rack of preheated oven until coating is crisp and golden, about 12 to 15 minutes. I turned the tray around, halfway through the cooking time.
20. Do not turn the fillets over.

Serves 4.

I found this recipe on recipezaar.com

No comments: