Saturday, May 9, 2009

Smelts

Last week we were going to go smelting with some friends. Their daughter told them the best run was between 1 am and 3 am, it made us change our mind and not go. We were having an old moment, haha..
We went out last night, left here around 9 pm, got there to the Little Gravel River just before 10. It was really cold out, brrrr. They were not running well, and we didn't want to stay long. They got a few smelt every dip, and eventually we got as many as we wanted. They are not the smelt I remember from my childhood, they are like big minnows, actually some are the size of minnows. I cleaned them this morning, took three hours. I cooked half of them for dinner tonight. I shook them in seasoned flour, and pan friend them in olive oil, until they were golden brown. They are just as delicious as I remembered them to be. Yum!

Lake Superior smelts

2 comments:

Carol said...

How pretty and silvery they are.

Unknown said...

Never ate them, never interested, but they sure are cute!