Sunday, February 10, 2008

Handwoven Wool Rug and Swap O Rama Rama, Fashion Show and Auction

I was contacted about a month ago by a group of students from the Crocker Middle School in Hillsborough, California. They are planning a Swap O Rama Rama, Fashion Show and Auction, on Earth Day, to raise money to support the Coyote Point Museum.

"At our event students will swap used clothes, work with talented designers and artists to recycle the used clothes into wearable art, and then showcase their creations at a fashion show. After the fashion show, prizes will be awarded and a silent auction held. This letter is to ask you to please donate a prize for the fashion show or an item for the auction. We scoured the internet for people who are recycling materials into incredible items. We love that your rugs include recycled materials, and shows people how incredibly cool recycling and conserving can be!"

I have decided after a little research that I will support their cause and donate a rug to them. I am just in the process of getting a package ready to mail out tomorrow. This is the rug I am sending. I did have a hard time deciding which rug to donate. I decided on this one because the students are in middle school, grades 7 and 8. I thought these bright colours were more appropriate for their age group. 

 It really is a gorgeous rug, and a fine example of recycling used clothing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so happy that you sent me the link to your beautiful and inspiring blog! I simply love your rugs! I adore this close up so you can see its fuzzy softness. I have never seen old wool sweaters made into such rugs but that is exaclty what they did in the old days isn't it?! You must just haunt the thrift stores! I hope that we will keep in touch. Happy that I was the one who told you about your treasury on the front page! The same thing happened to me the other day - someone on Etsy whom I had just met told me about my doll making a front page treasury! What a thrill! Well done to get your treasury on the front page. As I said it is one of the most beautiful I have seen! Hope you are having a nice and relaxing Sunday.
Warm wishes from Emily in Norway